Good Marks in IGCSE Chemistry. IB Elite Tutor has a strong team of tutors. We hire them from top international schools. Our IGCSE Chemistry Tutors has crafted a set of tips to help you to get good marks in IGCSE Chemistry.
How to Get Good Marks in IGCSE Chemistry?
To ace IGCSE Chemistry, you must increase your scientific skills and make yourself a responsible, reflective, innovative, confident, or engaged learner. Get expertise in scientific knowledge, scientific methods, scientific conventions, etc. And attain a perfect 9 score. In this article, we provide tips & tricks that help you in overcoming your fear of learning. And acquire an A* in the IGCSE Chemistry examination. Let’s start!!!
Let’s Explore IGCSE Coursework to Get Good Marks
You must acquire a deeper understanding of each topic of your syllabus and develop scientific attitudes or approaches.
- Elements, compounds, and atoms: All the students learn the differences between elements, mixtures, and compounds.
- Also, keep practicing atomic models, neutrons, protons, and electronic shells. Try to engage yourself in the topics like metallic bonding, covalent structures, simple molecules, ionic bonds, the periodic table, and isotopes.
- Electrochemistry: In this chapter, you have to identify simple electrolytic cells, how the metals are electroplated, pros and cons of hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells.
- States of matter: The more you know about the properties of solids, liquids, and gases, the more you acquire their knowledge.
- So, familiarize yourself with the concepts like diffusion, melting, condensing, boiling, and freezing.
- Stoichiometry: Try to construct word equations and symbols. Also, understand relative molecular mass, simple proportions, Avogadro constant, etc. Don’t forget to practice the diagrammatic representation of molecules and compounds.
A Few More Topics
- Chemical energetics: Learn exothermic and endothermic reactions with their diagrammatic representation.
- Acids, salts, and bases: Discover how salts formed. How are oxides formed? Understand all the properties of acids and bases.
- Metals: Keep endeavor to comprehend the properties of metals, uses of metals, alloys, reactivity series, corrosion of metals, and extraction of metals.
- Chemical reaction: Identify and investigate physical and chemical changes. And also, give your time to understand the rate of reaction, reversible reactions, equilibrium, and redox reactions.
- The periodic table: Learn the names of the elements and their properties. Also, pay attention to noble gases.
- Organic Chemistry: The most time-consuming and high marker topic. Keep learning all the formulas, functional groups, compound names, terminologies, etc.
- Chemical analysis and experimental techniques: Understand the usage of various apparatus and their advantages or disadvantages. Take part in experiments and do chemical analysis.
- Chemistry of the environment: It does not take you lots of time but gets aware yourself of fertilizers, air quality, water quality, water habitats, and climate change. Our IGCSE Chemistry Tuition Classes can help you to excel and get good marks in IGCSE Chemistry.
What Does Your IGCSE Assessment Look Like?
You have to give 3 papers. So, if you opt core IGCSE Chemistry syllabus, then you have to give paper 1, paper 3, and paper 5 or 6. On the other hand, if you opt extended syllabus, then you should give paper 2, paper 4, and paper 5 or 6. So, choose wisely. Now, let’s understand the assessment overview and then study accordingly:
- Paper 1 contains 40 MCQs and a time limit is 45 minutes. Try to score 40/40 to get an A*.
- Paper 2 consists of 40 MCQs, and a time limit is 45 minutes. Try to score 40/40 to get an A*.
- Paper 3 contains short-answer & structured questions, which have a time limit of 1 hour & 15 minutes. Try to score 80/80 to get an A*.
- Paper 4 consists of short-answer and structured questions, with a time limit of 1 hour & 15 minutes. And try to score 80/80 to get an A*.
- Paper 5 contains questions based on practical skills and has a time limit of 1 hour & 15 minutes. Try to score 40/40 in it.
- Paper 6 contains questions based on your practical skills and has a time limit of 1 hour. Try to score 40/40 in it.
So, before you start preparing, carefully read all the guidelines of the IGCSE Chemistry coursework. And then schedule your timetable accordingly.
How to crack the IGCSE Chemistry Exam?
Pay attention to the IGCSE Chemistry resources and inculcate intelligent learning techniques to memorize terminologies to get good marks in IGCSE Chemistry. And also,
- Download the updated syllabus
- Understand the marking criteria
- Make effective notes
- Engrave a deeper conceptual understanding
- Take help from YouTube
- Make flowcharts
- Get tips and tricks from your seniors
- First, read the question correctly, mark the keywords, and write the answer.
- Practice equations, graphs, reactions, etc.
- Memorize with proper understanding
- Take extra help from IGCSE Chemistry tutors
- Clear your doubts with the help of classmates, teachers, or tuition teachers.
- Make a revision checklist
- Practice past years’ papers
- Remember that your answer should be clear and accurate.
- Never give up, and motivate yourself.
- Be consistent in your studies.
The More You Practice, The More You Grow
Sometimes questions are repeated from year to year. So, practice past year’s papers as much as possible. Practice papers one by one, check out your mistakes and correct them. Then move on to the next one. And also, make a schedule in a way that you can constantly revise. Revision helps you to understand all the concepts easily. Organic chemistry needs more time & effort. So, practice all the textbook questions. Take time to memorize facts & data as well.
Be Thoughtful of Your Practical to Get Good Marks in IGCSE Chemistry
Your practical paper consists of 20% of your overall grades. So, it is an important aspect that you have to concentrate on. Utilize the time that you spend in your lab. Learn how to use different apparatus and their names as well. Observe and maintain your practical notebook.Properly understand your exam pattern and look out for the marking rubric. Moreover, follow tips & tricks to ace the IGCSE Chemistry examination. Get mastery of each formula, valency, reaction, and symbol. And don’t forget to practice knowledge questions and Chemistry facts. This is how you get good marks in IGCSE Chemistry.
A Few Final Words
Don’t get too stressed and frustrated. Enjoy with your friends and family as well. But at the time of the study, stay focused. And manage your time wisely. Don’t make a strict schedule. Put flexibility in all your work. Focus on making a scientific relationship with your examiner. Then you probably get an A* in the IGCSE Chemistry examination with our IGCSE Online Tuition.
We also provide following services to help & support Chemistry students-:
- IB Chemistry Tutors
- AP Chemistry Tutors book a free demo class and feel the difference