Good marks in IGCSE Geography. Everyone wants to score well in examinations. But it is no easy task. You need proper guidance and a reliable Online IGCSE Tuition service to improve your performance. Join IB Elite Tutor academy to get the best IGCSE Geography help. Here are a few tips by our experts to help you.
How to get good marks in IGCSE Geography?
Attaining good marks in IGCSE Geography requires proper time management, data analysis, and explaining skills. First, analyze your syllabus before preparing for the IGCSE Geography examination. Then study according to it. Your IGCSE Geography syllabus has 3 themes:
- The natural environment: In this, you have to study earthquakes, volcanoes, rivers, coasts, weather, climate, and natural vegetation.
- Settlement and population: The theme is about population dynamics, migration, population structure, population density, population distribution, settlements, service provision, urban settlements, and urbanization.
- Economic development: Th theme contains topics like development, food production, industry, tourism, energy, water, and environmental risks of economic development.
- So, you must seek knowledge of each geographical aspect and familiarize yourself with the subject content.
- Glossary definitions: Pay attention to all the crucial facts and figures. The basic outline of physical and human geography is essential to understand. And also, if you have a strong foundation in IGCSE Geography, you easily frame answers according to the examiner’s mindset.
- Expand your knowledge: Teach yourself every moment because IGCSE Geography is a vast field. And find ways how you can tackle it. Make a reading habit and read case studies, ecology, geopolitics, etc. It helps you to understand geographical phenomena.
- Apart from this, develop skills to create links between concepts. And try to convey your answers effectively.
Enhance your writing & mathematical skills to get good marks in IGCSE Geography
- Practice writing detailed and in-depth essays to score well on essay questions.
- Keep endeavor to write balanced arguments that contain an appealing introduction, a well-explained answer, and a short conclusion.
- Aim for high and practice as much as possible because it is all you can do to achieve your goal.
- Comprehend exam format: Without knowing the exam criteria, you can’t be able to get a good score. So, pay heed to the assessment overview and study accordingly.
- Paper 1 is a geographical theme paper that contains 3 questions of 25 marks. Thus, it carries 75 marks and has a time limit of 1 hour & 45 minutes.
- Paper 2 is a geographical skills paper that contains 60-mark questions. And it has a time limit of 1 hour & 3 minutes.
- Component 3 is coursework that contains one center-based assignment of 60 marks.
- Paper 4 is an alternative to component 3 that contains 2 compulsory questions and a series of written tasks. It carries 60 marks and has a time limit of 1 hour & 30 minutes.
- This is all about your assessment. So, focus on each component and answer all the questions appropriately to grab full marks.
Solve past year’s papers & Get help from IB Elite Tutor
- The best resource to acknowledge the upcoming exam pattern and understand the question types. So, practice past years’ papers when you fully complete your IGCSE Geography coursework.
- And find ways to write well-thought answers in a preferred time. If you want to know how to analyze data and improve your geographical skills, then get help from our IGCSE Geography tutoring.
- Get guidance from the expert faculty of IGCSE Geography tutors. And attain an A* in your curriculum.
- Pay attention to assessment objectives:IGCSE assessment objectives are very crucial. And the purpose behind the assessment objectives is that our students:
- Comprehend the location at a regional, local, and global scale.
- Spread awareness about the processes, characteristics, and distribution that affects the human and physical environment.
- Understand the different ways how people interact with each other and their environment.
- Create awareness about contrasting opportunities that different environments present.
- Gain appreciation and concern for the environment.
- Appreciate what is included in the earth?
Practice diagrams & graphs & Focus on case studies
- You must learn to read maps, charts, and graphs. As a reason, you must identify the points in the question paper and write answers appropriately.
- For instance, the name of a location, grid reference, specific feature, interpret land use, etc. So, practice and learn about locations, distances, heights, directions, gradients, etc.
- And remember them with the help of mind maps and acronyms. Case studies are critical so keep an eye on them.
- Also, check your syllabus, collect critical materials, keep brainstorming, take help from textbooks/revision guides, and do thorough research to write exemplary case studies.
Some Topics for case studies-
- An over-populated country.
- An under-populated country.
- A country that has a low rate of population growth.
- International migration.
- High dependent population country.
- Densely or sparsely populated country or area.
- An area’s settlement and service provision.
- Urban areas or area
- Write about earthquakes and volcanoes.
- Area for tropical rainforest and hot desert.
- Agricultural and farm system.
- Factory or industrial zone.
- Water and energy supply in an area.
- And many more…
Tips that you need to ace IGCSE Geography For paper 1
- First and foremost, carefully understand the marking criteria of each question.
- Write points according to the allocated marks. For instance, 5 points for 5 marker questions, 4 points for 4 marker questions, etc.
- Engrave quality in each of your work.
- Draw a well-labeled diagram.
- Explain all the specific features briefly.
- Avoid irrelevancy.
Some more suggestions for other papers
- Bring all the necessary equipment like a pencil, ruler, protractor, calculator, compass, etc.
- Locate maps and identify their features. Write the correct location name.
- Give advantages and disadvantages properly.
- Write clear and concise answers.
- Appropriately prove or disprove the hypothesis.
- Do not leave blank. Just write what you know about the topic. It doesn’t matter how much you know. Try to write something.
What else do you need to attain an A*?
- Understand economic, social, and physical environments and their effects.
- Improve skills to identify spatial patterns of the environment.
- Comprehend the relationship between the environment and human activity.
- Incorporate techniques to present and organize data.
- Understand geographical dimensions.
- Enhance mathematical skills like addition, multiplication, map scale, standard notations, significant figures, etc.
Value your time and properly manage it. Don’t hesitate to ask for any help. IB Elite Tutor offers help to IB / AP /O & A-level and IGCSE students for all subjects. We provide IGCSE Tutors for Sociolog , Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Accounts and many more subjects.